You have decided to move out of your ‘rents house, have you? Congrats! Moving out and into your very first place in or near Oakville, ON, (or wherever you may live!) is a HUGE deal, and very exciting. The next few weeks or months leading up to your move will require a heavy dose of careful planning and serious “adulting.” So, the team here at ABS Movers & Storage wants to help you make a successful move in 5 easy steps!
Step #1: Keep communication lines open with your parents
I know it’s exciting to be inching near total independence but remember: seeing you go is a tough step for them. Even if they’re excited and encouraging—you’re their baby. Be sure to regard them in each step, ask for help, let them know you still need them in your life, and be sensitive to their emotions.
Step #2: Start saving money NOW
You will discover quickly that surprises somehow just happen when you’re out there in the world of adulting. 10% (or more) of everything you earn should go into a savings account for expenses/emergencies in the future. Further, if you haven’t already come up with your down payment or security deposit, make a realistic savings plan ASAP, so you’re ready when the time comes. Here are a few tips to help you get there:
- Go out to eat half as often as you usually do
- Trim unnecessary spending (salon, gym membership, shopping for wants instead of needs, etc.)
- Sell items you don’t need on social media or a local consignment store
- Travel less
- Carpool with coworkers, if possible
Step #3: Develop a doable moving plan
Remember your parents? Ask their advice. They’ve moved more often than you have, so they probably have valuable guidance to give you. Establish a goal date for moving—you do not have to stick to this (unless you’ve signed a lease already, of course), but it’ll help you stay on track. Decide the following:
- Will you use a moving company in Oakville, ON?
- Do you need to buy new furniture or are there pieces you’ll be taking with you from home?
- Should you pack your own boxes of items or will professional movers handle that for you?
- What items will you leave behind or give away?
- If you aren’t hiring a moving company, which friends and/or family members will you enlist for assistance?
Step #4: Set up utilities
There’s nothing worse than not having electricity or heat/air conditioning upon moving day because this little detail was overlooked. Believe me—people forget this detail. Don’t overlook this step! You’ll want to schedule service one to two weeks prior to moving, to be sure all is “on” when you arrive.
Step #5: Change your address
Don’t let your parents be responsible for your parcels. You’re independent, now!
When the time comes, give ABS Movers & Storage a call! Our professionals specialize in big, small, near, and far moves. We’d be delighted to assist you during this exciting step in your life!
ABS Movers & Storage | 17 Dora Ave Toronto, ON M6H 1J5 | (416) 588-1499